Saturday, June 25, 2011

WHITE SOX MEMORIES

I was recently reminiscing about when my uncles Julie and Jerry Schlan bought White Sox season tickets for the 1960 season after the Sox won the pennant in 1959. I remember the White Sox sending out Dizzy Trout (Steve's dad, who worked in White Sox community relations), outfielder Al Smith (of spilled beer fame) and outfielder Jim Landis (the best center fielder that has worn white and black in my lifetime) to my uncles' business, Veterans Supply in South Chicago. Smith and Landis spent over an hour schmoozing with my uncles and their employees. I was working part-time for my uncles then, a star-struck 14 year-old kid seeing and talking to a couple of my beloved White Sox heros.What a thrill! And boy has the game of baseball changed! Can you imagine today's major league players peddling tickets for the team in the off season?

Cousin Richie 

No comments:

Post a Comment